Today, homemade onions are used more for entertainment than for food, as in ancient times. For hunting, a special weapon with arrows is used - a crossbow. However, both tasks are impossible without a correctly made, high-quality tip. You can learn more about how to make a tip for the arrow so that it does not let the archer down.
Types of arrowheads
The arrowhead is its front, striking part, made of solid material. We can distinguish an extensive classification of arrowheads:
- According to the intended use, sports-training and hunting tips are distinguished.
The former are used for archery in sports and training, and the latter are used for hunting animals. Part of the sports equipment has a straight conical shape, two sharpening angles so that the arrow can be easily removed from the target. The sports tip should provide the least air resistance during flight, not depend on the direction of the wind and be the least traumatic. It is attached to the boom shaft using a threaded connection or using molten shellac. The shape of the tip, in addition to the cone-shaped, is bullet-shaped, with a rounded striker, with a through hole (whistling), and also in the form of a cap or double cone.
For use in role-playing team games, humanizer arrows are used. These are special rubber tips for tips. Their goal is to strike without piercing the body.
The arrowhead for hunting purposes has a damaging effect. Tips have a special shape with pointed blades of various numbers (from two to six blades). The blades can be self-opening, fixed or interchangeable. Sometimes the tip is equipped with a free rotation insert to resist gusts of wind and facilitate bone bypass. A separate type of this category are blunt tips with expandable spikes after falling into an animal (shockers). They are intended for hunting small animals and birds. There is a separate type for hunting fur animals - blunt tips that kill with the force of impact to preserve valuable fur. Hunting tips are connected to the shaft by a threaded connection, sometimes equipped with a vibration damper.
- For special purposes.
These are tips that in past times had a specific use: to pierce chain mail or cast armor, cut gear on ships, notify of an attack, etc. These are awl-shaped, chisel-shaped, sound arrows, srezni. In addition, serrated blades were used in conjunction with incendiary arrows.
3. Types of arrowheads according to the material of manufacture.
To create a non-traumatic tip, rubber, foam rubber, cork, synthetic winterizer can be used. For other species, metal, wood from plywood to hardwood, nails, stone are used.
Homemade arrowheads: features
Regardless of the task, the arrowhead must have the following characteristics:
- Homemade tips must be sharp to hit the target.
- For high damaging qualities, they must be durable.
- To ensure good aerodynamic qualities, they should be moderately heavy, as well as streamlined.
- The material for the manufacture of nozzles must be durable, but at the same time, it is well suited to processing.
In addition, to effectively achieve the set goals, all arrows must be with the same tips, which should be equal in weight. This is especially important for arrows used when shooting from a crossbow.
How to make arrowheads at home
If you briefly describe the production process, how to make tips at home, you can determine the main stages:
- Choosing the right material.
- The formation of the tip of the material with fastening using improvised means.
- Attaching the tip to the arrow shaft. This is done in two ways: donning the boom or securing it to the groove inside it. In the first case, a special cap is made with which a point is worn on the shaft. In the second case, a long groove is made inside the boom, and the tip is fixed with threads and glue.
DIY arrowheads: making a non-traumatic tip
Foam rubber, champagne corks, plastic, microporous building rubber are used as the material for the tip. A plate 10 mm wide, 45-50 mm long should be cut from the selected material, and an acute angle at the end should be formed. Using a loop, fasten it to the pole with a small gap, which will protect the tip from breaking through the shaft of the arrow.
The second simple option, how to make “humane” tips, is as follows: a piece of rubber tube 20-30 mm long is mounted on the boom shaft. It should be tightly mounted on the base of the boom so that the very end protrudes 10 mm from the shaft.
To implement another method, you will need: aluminum tape, a coin, scissors, softening material (it is recommended to use a piece of foam rubber), a fabric 10x10 cm in size. The end of the boom shaft is wrapped with electrical tape so that it remains 2 mm. A coin is mounted on it perpendicular to the pole, fixed, fixed with electrical tape. A piece of foam rubber is attached on top of it, covered with a cloth on top, all this is fixed with electrical tape. The tip can be decorated on top by wrapping it with aluminum tape.
Making combat tipsTips
There are many ways to make hunting or traumatic tips using improvised means. The following are some of them:
- On a sheet of tin (you can use tin from under a can) a sketch of the future tip is outlined, cut with scissors for metal. The workpiece is bent with pliers, the tip is sharpened with a knife or chisel. On the pole, places where the tip will be attached are marked. In these places, recesses are made with a depth of 2-3 mm. The assembled tip is put on the arrow, in places of the recesses it is pressed with pliers. The blade is fixed with a wire, fixed with a vise, sharpened with a file.
- Production of tips from sleeves. To do this, you need to prepare a shaft, sleeves suitable for it in diameter (from AK-47, hunting 223 calibers and others), a self-tapping screw depending on the length of the tip (should be a length shorter by 5-7 mm), glue. The narrow part of the sleeve is cut off, the edges are processed. Then it must be clamped in a vice, cut out the capsule. The size of the drill used should be slightly smaller than the diameter of the self-tapping screw, it drills a hole in the center of the capsule. Then the sleeve must be screwed onto the drill so that its diameter expands to the size of the shaft. The edges are filed, lubricated with glue, the sleeve is inserted on the shaft to the stop. After this, a self-tapping screw is screwed into the hole of the capsule, grind on a grinder.
- A piece of aluminum pipe straightens to a flat state, the edges are cut to the desired shape, sharpened. The shaft is greased with glue, a tip is put on it. Another manufacturing method using an aluminum pipe: a thread is cut at a hairpin of 3 cm in diameter and 8 mm in diameter, the pipe is cut into 4 cm pieces. The pipe is inserted into the shaft using glue, and the hairpin is screwed into it. The ends of the studs are sharpened to a pointed shape.
- Budget option of key locks. On a flat key with a marker, you need to outline the shape of the tip. Then, holding it in a vice, cut off the excess with a hacksaw, sharpen the edges with sandpaper. From the end of the shaft you need to make a cut to the length of the key, insert it there, wind it with a strong cord. For strength, fix with glue.
- The tip of the nail. The nose of the shaft is selected with a knife half the length of a conventional nail. In the middle of the cut-out area, you need to make a gutter for its placement. The nail is placed inside the gutter, wound with a strong wire.
In addition, the combat tips can be made of sawn old scissors, joined together by knife blades, sharpened file, stone fragment.