Convulsions are a fairly common phenomenon, which can be expressed in various forms. This can be unpleasant sensations in the limbs, and quite strong muscle contractions against the background of a painful seizure. First aid for cramps is the information that everyone should have. It is especially important to receive a briefing if you plan a hike or vacation away from civilization.
Causes of Convulsions
Cramps are involuntary muscle contractions, often accompanied by pain. Simply put, a person’s muscles are tense, and for some reason they can’t relax. This condition can be caused by various factors:
- Strong temperature changes. If, for example, the foot is sharply lowered into very cold water, then the vessels will narrow and a risk of seizures is possible. Many are familiar with this sensation, which very often occurs when swimming in ponds;
- Muscle overwork. If the amount of physical exertion is too large and the body does not have time to cope with it, then muscle spasms in the form of seizures can become a response;
- A sharp increase in weight and, accordingly, a load on the legs also causes discomfort. Often this occurs during pregnancy;
- Dehydration. If the necessary amount of water does not enter the body, then circulatory disorders can occur, which often cause seizures;
- Lack of calcium and magnesium in the body. This is because their particles are directly involved in the process of muscle relaxation;
- Some types of diseases. Diabetes mellitus or varicose veins cause vascular insufficiency, which is often characterized by the appearance of pain.
In children, the nature of seizures is slightly different. Since physical overload or a sharply increasing weight is not typical for them, the most common cause is their high body temperature. This type is called febrile convulsions.
Pathogenesis of convulsive syndrome. First aid for convulsions is necessary regardless of the cause of their occurrence.
General algorithm for first aid for muscle cramp
In the vast majority of cases, with a cramp, it brings the legs, fingers and feet together. First aid for seizures occurs as follows:
- Help the victim take a sitting or lying position. This will help reduce pressure on the muscles and allow them to relax faster. It is not worth keeping a person in one strict position;
- Relieve muscle tension. To do this, you can ask the victim to pull the sock towards himself. If it causes him difficulties, you can help him. A very common method is a needle prick, which provokes a rush of blood to the limb. Persons who often encounter this problem at night, put a wet rag near the bed, stepping on which you can get rid of the unpleasant constraining sensation;
- Massage. It is necessary in order to calm the muscles and restore their necessary tone. You should start with light movements and gradually increase their intensity.
Even if the condition of the victim quickly recovered and the pain immediately disappeared, do not neglect muscle massage. It is needed in order to restore normal blood circulation.Massage with cramps soothes muscles and restores their necessary tone
With convulsive twitching in children arising against a background of very high temperature, an ambulance team should be called immediately. And before their arrival, lay the child on a flat surface, turn his head to the side and free him from tight clothes. If necessary, give him antipyretic drugs, and if the situation becomes critical, it is necessary to make artificial respiration by mouth.
First aid for cramps in the water
During the swimming season, the possibility of seizures increases dramatically. This is due to the fact that in the water column the temperature can sharply differ from the surface temperature. First aid in this case also consists in stimulating a rush of blood to the leg. A sharp object is best for this. It is not enough to prick a reduced limb with it. If such an object was not at hand, then you can strongly press with your thumb on the most painful point or pull the sock towards you with force.
Thus, when going swimming in a pond, you need to have a regular pin with you. She will allow herself to provide first aid for cramps in her legs, if there are no people nearby. It can be attached to a swimsuit, swimming trunks or headband so as not to lose. A small warm-up, as well as rubbing the limbs before swimming, will reduce the risk of seizures.
Medical assistance for cramps
If convulsions do not occur due to the presence of diseases, then they do not require serious medical treatment. Maximum, a vitamin complex may be prescribed if the cause is a lack of calcium in the body.
Another thing, if the cause of muscle reduction is a serious violation in the body:
- epileptic seizure. In this case, the victim is injected with a solution of magnesium sulfate or furosemide;
- high fever / fever. The patient is given antipyretic drugs;
- long breath holding. The patient may be offered sedatives.
In each of these cases, an additional anticonvulsant drug, Diazepam, can be used.
Folk methodsFolk remedies play a positive role in the treatment of seizures
Alternative medicine methods are also often used in the treatment of seizures. Among them are:
- Herbal decoction. You can cook it from calendula, rhubarb, clover, adonis, chamomile, tatarnik, thyme. To do this, one tablespoon of dry chopped herbs is poured with a glass of boiling water and insisted in a warm dark place for two hours. In the resulting broth, a piece of gauze is moistened and applied as a lotion to a diseased part of the body;
- Wormwood seeds. The crushed seeds are poured with vegetable oil, preferably olive. After the remedy is infused for at least 8 hours, it is ready for use. Take a mixture of 2 drops daily;
- The roots of wormwood. A small amount of roots is boiled in a water bath with half a liter of water for 10 minutes. You can take the drug 3 times a day for 40 grams;
- Alcohol tincture on tansy or thyme. Dry grass in an amount of 100 g is poured with 1 liter of vodka. Insist healing mixture for a week in a dark, cool place. After time, the finished tincture is rubbed into the muscles of the legs and feet;
- Honey. It is believed that taking 1 tablespoon of honey daily can reduce the risk of seizures;
- An unusual recipe suggests mixing milk, honey and crushed dried poppy leaves. Such a decoction can be taken within 7 days.
All of these natural remedies have anticonvulsant and sedative properties. And although folk methods do not have proven medical effectiveness, they often play a positive role in solving the problem.
Only a qualified doctor will help solve the problem of frequently occurring seizures. He will be able to determine the exact cause and prescribe the necessary treatment.
General preventive actions that are not related to specific diseases are as follows:
- Adequate assessment of physical activity. It is not recommended to sharply increase the number of lifted weights, distances for running and other things. All this should be done gradually. In addition, it is important to use comfortable sports shoes during exercise, since uncomfortable shoes will only increase the load on the muscles;
- Maintaining water balance in the body. The amount of fluid consumed daily should be at least 2 liters for an adult. Moreover, this amount should include drinking water, and not sweet drinks, teas, juices. The consumption of carbonated drinks must be minimized;
- Reception of vitamin complexes and eating healthy foods: fresh vegetables, fruits, sour milk, nuts. Particular attention should be paid to calcium intake;
- Compliance with blood sugar. If signs of diabetes are detected, you should immediately consult a doctor. If you have a disease, you must follow the prescribed diet;
- Massages. Periodic massages of the limbs, as well as a warm shower will reduce the risk of seizures. At the same time, it is necessary to massage not only the calf muscles, but also the feet;
- Avoidance of sudden temperature changes. In the case of swimming in nature, it is necessary not to run into the water, but to go into it gradually so that the body can adapt.
Such simple methods of prevention will allow you to forget about the unpleasant sensations in the limbs for a long time. But if the cramp still brought your foot down, now you know what to do.