Feeder leashes are an integral part of the equipment that they protect when biting large fish or in the case of hooks. However, since the leash is always extremely close to the fish, it must be not only strong, but also invisible, so as not to frighten off the catch. Therefore, during its manufacture it is extremely important to study all the features of its structure and operation.
Purpose and Specifications
In feeder equipment, the leash is one of the main elements. It is he who connects the fishing line with a hook. Moreover, the leash itself is a piece of fishing thread of a small size.
The use of a leash is necessary for such purposes:
- Protection of the equipment of the feeder rod from accidental damage in the form of hooks, cliffs, wear and bite of the fishing line by predatory fish species;
- Additional masking of the hook. The leash is distinguished by a small diameter and color to match the water, which makes it invisible;
- Creating the appearance of the natural movement of the bait in water. This is achieved due to the invisibility of the leash and its size, allowing the bait to move freely in the place of fishing;
- The ability to quickly change the hook.
Despite the simplicity of design, the leashes have a large number of technical characteristics, according to which the product is usually selected under the feeder. These include:
- Breaking load. This is the nominal force applied to 1 cm of thread, which leads to a break in the leash. The value is usually indicated on the factory packaging of the leashes in libra (lb), or kilograms (kg). Typically, yarns, depending on their thickness and flexibility, can withstand loads in the range of 2.5-15 lb (1.2-6.8 kg). For independently made leads, this value is calculated experimentally.
- The flexibility of the thread. The parameter directly affects the camouflage qualities of the leash and bait of small and medium sizes. For large baits, this indicator does not play a special role.
- Colour. The leash may have a different color. The tone of the product used is always selected under the pond.
- Length of the product. The value is very important when casting bait over long distances, as well as in the case of bait large fish. This parameter can vary between 10-60 cm. In some cases, when roach feeder fishing is planned, the leash length can reach 1 m.
- Lead cut diameter. The indicator is measured in inches (“) or in millimeters (mm). The diameter of the product affects its breaking load. Moreover, the greater the thickness of the leash, the less naturally the bait moves and the product itself becomes more noticeable. However, thin leashes, with great secrecy, have a minimum breaking load. Typically, the product’s diameter is 0.004-0.011 ”(0.102-0.279 mm). Most often, for fishing in stagnant water, leashes with a diameter of 0.12 mm are used, and in rivers 0.14-0.16 mm.
When choosing the diameter of the leash, you must always take into account the size of the hook. The following combinations are optimal:
- 0.08 mm from No. 20;
- 0.1 mm with No. 18;
- 0.12 mm from No. 16;
- 0.14 mm from No. 14;
- 0.16 mm from No. 12;
- 0.18 mm from No. 10.
When assembling gear, attention should be paid to the thickness of the fishing line. So for the float plug equipment, with blank fasteners, differences in the thickness of the thread of the main fishing line and the leash can be 0.02 mm. When equipped with a flywheel, differences in thickness can be 0.1 mm. For fishing rods equipped with a reel, this difference can be much larger.
Ways and methods of fastening the leash
Fastening the leash on the feeder gear can be carried out in various ways:
- Paternoster, or deaf snap;
- Gardner's loop;
- Symmetrical loop;
- Asymmetrical loop;
- Helicopter and two nodes;
- Simple inline;
- Inline with a tap;
- Mounting with a safe clip for fishing carp.
Each fisherman chooses the method of mounting the product on their own, according to their convenience. Most often it is a paternoster and a Gartner loop.
The connection of the feeder and the leash is carried out using knots or special carbines with swivels. It is worth knowing that the use of carbines makes the product more mobile. The method involves creating branches on the main line.
To mount the leash at the end of the main fishing line, a loop of about 10 cm in size is made. It is tied with a knot in 3-4 turns and cut in the middle. At the same time, a feeder is attached to one part of the branching, tied to a knot, and a leash to the other. A small loop is made for the leash.
The method involves the installation of a feeder and a leash without using separate nodes. At the same time, the feeder is fixed to the main fishing line by passing a separate yarn through it and her eye.
The loop for attaching the leash is knitted at the end of the main line. If desired, a separate carabiner can be installed on it.
Installation is the most sensitive. When using it, the main thread transfers even the most careful bites to the quivertype, while the fish does not feel resistance when eating the feeder.
The feeder with this mount is not installed rigidly and can freely move within certain limits. For mounting the leash, a loop is made at the end of the main line. But before that, two restrictive beads are put on the thread. Between them, with the help of a carbine, a feeder will be installed.
This method is highly sensitive to the transfer of bite to quivertype. However, it should be used only with a leash length not exceeding 40 cm. Otherwise, the risk of tangling gear is significantly increased.Asymmetric feeder loop
The asymmetric loop for the subsequent attachment of the snap is made of a rigid fishing line and consists of two parts: twisting with a loop for securing the hook, and the loop itself. For its manufacture, part of the fishing line is folded in half, and at a distance of 2 cm from the middle, a loop under the hook is made. By twisting the fishing line at the loop of the hook, a twisted branch is made, about 10 cm long. At its end, a double knot is tightened. A feeder with a carbine clings to the remaining fishing line.
Helicopter and two nodes
This installation method involves installing a loop under the leash on the main fishing line above the feeder. To install the device under the bait, a loop is made at the end of the thread or a carabiner is hung. And 10-20 cm above it, two restrictive beads are placed. A leash is fastened between them with a carabiner.
The main thread is passed through the body of the feeder. Its movement is limited by springs or circlips. A loop is made under the leash at the end of the line. The lead is fastened by installing a carabiner, or by mounting a loop in a loop.
Inline with tap
This fastener method combines the Gartner method and a symmetrical loop. Unlike a simple inline, at the end of the main fishing line a separate outlet from a dense fishing thread is installed. Its length can be 5-10 cm.
Mounting with a safe clip for carp fishing
Since the carp is capable of seriously damaging the equipment, as well as pulling the feeder with it, a special safe clip is placed on the main fishing line for catching it, below which the leash is placed. If necessary, the clip is easily detachable, causing minimal harm to the fish.
This clip provides low sensitivity, however, since the bite of carp is always strong, this factor is not significant.
Basic rules for determining leash length
The length of the leash for the feeder tackle directly depends on the rod, the expected size and type of future production, as well as on the range to be cast. To determine the necessary leash length, there are several simple rules and manipulations:
- When fishing, it is recommended to take a set of products of different lengths.
- Fishing begins with the use of a leash with an average length of 30-50 cm.
- Changing the length up or down is done in increments of 10 cm.
- Reducing the length of the leash is carried out in the case when the fish actively removes the bait from the hook, and the quivertype does not give a signal. Another reason for reducing the length is deep ingestion of fish hook.
- An increase in the size of the product is necessary when there is a large number of single bites or fish gathering.
The average length of a leash for fishing with a feeder fishing rod is 30-50 cm. Moreover, the size of 20-30 cm is optimal for crucian carp, and 1 m or more for roach. For catching cyprinids in their habitats in large numbers, the size of the product can be 80-120 cm.
When fishing with two leashes at the same time, the distance between them should be at least 80 cm.
The role of the material of which the leash is made
When choosing a finished leash, or making it yourself, the material is very important. Its quality and characteristics ensure the invisibility of the leash, its strength and elasticity. When creating them, the following materials are used:
- Titanium thread. The material is highly durable and resistant to various types of damage, including snacking. But at the same time, the thread may break during a strong jerk, catching on snags. The material is noticeable in water and has a high cost.
- Tungsten. The material is soft and flexible, which ensures the natural behavior of the bait in water. However, products made of it are distinguished by their fragility, they are quickly wiped off at the attachment points and can twist very much.
- Steel. String leashes. It has excellent strength and is not prone to tangling. However, such material is clearly visible in water and does not allow you to create a sense of the natural movement of the bait.
- Wicker steel. It consists of many interconnected small steel bars coated with a special sheath. The material is often used to make homemade leashes for pike fishing. Products made of it are flexible and quick wear.
- Fluorocarbon. When the diameter of the thread is more than 0.35 mm, it becomes noticeable in water. Products made of such a material are wear resistant and quickly immersed in water. Material does not lose its qualities when changing the temperature regime of its use. Their use is justified when fishing shy fish of small and medium sizes.
- Nylon. Products from this material are durable and stiff. Leashes are often twisted and highly susceptible to corrosion.
From which material it is better to purchase or make a leash, depends on the capabilities and needs of the fisherman. Fluorocarbon products are considered to be good, affordable, and at the same time, universal leads.
How to make a leash yourself
For the manufacture of leads for the feeder with your own hands, you will not need expensive materials or special skills. In the process of work, it is only important to timely prepare the tools and materials suitable for this lesson, as well as follow clear instructions.
Tools and materials
The main tool required in the manufacture of leashes is a sharp knife or scissors. Also, if you plan to install carabiners or stops, you may need small pliers and the consumables themselves.The main material for the leash is fishing line
The main working tool for creating leads on the feeder is fishing line, or braided steel. In any case, the thickness of the material used should be less than the diameter of the main fishing thread.
Before manufacturing, it is worth preparing and suitable hooks.
There is a fairly simple and reliable way how to make a universal leash for a feeder from monolesk:
- A small loop is made on one side of a line of suitable fishing line length. To fix it, the figure-eight knot is tied.
- On the other hand, a suitable hook is attached to the fishing line. A fishing line is folded to the base of the hook, folded into a circle with a diameter of 9 cm. The fishing line must be pressed tightly to the hook, folding it in half.
- Middle and forefinger slightly protrude into the loop. In this case, one of them needs to hold the thread, and the other to wrap the base of the hook with fishing line. It is best to do 10 turns around the hook.
- Holding the thread in this position, its end is taken by the teeth and tightly tightened. It is important to keep the bulk of the monofilament.
- The resulting assembly is wetted with water and further tightened.
With this method of attaching the hook, the eye of the hook is not involved. This allows you to protect the thread from rubbing as much as possible, as well as use any fishing lines and hooks.
For long-term and successful operation of the products, they must be properly stored and looked after. So after fishing, the products need to be washed under running water, carefully dried and greased with petroleum jelly or machine oil. This will protect the devices from corrosive processes.
It is necessary to store products according to the following rules:
- Keep in a dry place.
- During storage, they must lie flat and not subject to deformation.
- Together, leashes made of the same material can be placed. Neighborhood with other materials is possible if there are separators between them.
Leashes can be kept in special wooden or plastic leads. During use, twisted products must be immediately untangled and aligned immediately.