Goggles are an indispensable element of equipment for both professional swimmers and amateurs. Moreover, points differ not only in cost, but also in their intended use. And it is precisely on how correctly the choice is made that determines the comfort and safety of the swimmer. Therefore, it is important to know what types of swimming goggles exist, as well as the features of choosing an accessory.
The need for equipment
The main function of swimming goggles is to protect the swimmer’s eyes. Submerging in water, even to a shallow depth, the difference in atmospheric pressure begins to affect the human eye. Because of this, the picture that the swimmer sees becomes blurry. In addition, the composition of water can also negatively affect the eyes.
When swimming in the sea, salty sea water damages the protective mucous membrane of the visual organ. Because of this, burning, pain, and dry eyes may subsequently occur. The same negative effect, but with greater speed, provokes chlorinated water in the pools.
Correctly selected swimming goggles that fit tightly around the eyes protect the organs of vision from direct contact with an aggressive environment. In addition, the air gap between the eyes and lenses helps the catcher to maintain clarity of vision, helping to maintain normal pressure.
Types of glasses and their features
All swimming goggles have several classifications, and differ in the material from which they are made and their functional purpose. The main materials from which goggles are created are:
Silicone is a flexible and inexpensive material. Glasses made of silicone have a secure fit and high wear resistance. However, they sit very tightly on the face, and therefore after using them on the skin around the eyes there are obvious signs of wearing the accessory.
Neoprene is soft and lightweight. Glasses from it are not pressed into the face, but stick to it like Velcro. After their use, there is no pressed trace left. Neoprene glasses are used everywhere. Products are distinguished by a higher price and lower wear resistance, in comparison with silicone glasses.
According to their purpose, swimming goggles are:
- Glasses with diopters;
In each of the functional groups, glasses can also significantly differ in shape. Moreover, regardless of the purpose, the lenses in these products are made of plastic. Ordinary glass with glasses for swimming is not used due to the large weight and fragility, which poses a great danger to swimmers.
How to choose training glasses for swimming in the pool
Training glasses are designed for the pool and open water. They can be used in endurance training, as well as in the classes of water aerobics, sports and swimming with light loads. To choose the most convenient training glasses, it is important to consider their features:
- Most of the models have a frame and a fixing strap made of silicone.
- The lenses of glasses can have a different shape, but they are all cast from unbreakable plastic. Some models may have anti-fog coating or protective coating against ultraviolet rays.
To reduce the unpleasant sensations of crushing face glasses, some models of glasses can be equipped with a special gasket by the obturator. However, it does not worsen the tightness of the accessory to the skin.
When choosing an accessory for a training model, it is very important to pay attention to the design of the nose bridge. They come in 3 types:
- Step adjustable nose bridge. The nose is equipped with small protrusions, flipping through which you can easily adjust the interocular distance of the glasses, ensuring their most comfortable fit;
- Removable nose bridge. Such structural elements can be easily replaced with a more suitable in shape and length. Usually, 3-4 replaceable nose bridge comes with glasses;
- Unregulated nose bridge. They are characterized by softness and high strength. In this case, the frame of the lenses, nose bridge and strap are a single unit, casting at the same time. Such glasses are available in several standard sizes, children's (Kids), teenage (Junior) and adult (Signor).
Adjustable and removable nose bridge are made of flexible plastic. However, they often break down. Therefore, for prolonged use, it is better to give preference to training glasses with a fixed nose bridge. However, when buying them, it is important to choose the right product with the required nose bridge size. It is impossible to change the interocular distance in such a design.
To adjust the size of the strap that wraps around the head, these glasses have a special clip. It can be located both in the nape of the neck and at the temples.
The unofficial names of these products are: "glass" and "Swedish". Points from the starting class are used by professional swimmers during competitions. Moreover, often in the products of the same type, most of their training is carried out. This allows the athlete to get used to the accessory.Starting points for swimming
All starter glasses have a very tight pressure fit. In most models, softening is missing completely. Also, few products, instead of soft sealing fabric, are equipped with a thin, often silicone, cuff.
Such products have an extremely small lens area. Moreover, they differ in their prismatic inclined shape. These qualities can significantly improve the hydrodynamics of the athlete, minimizing water resistance.
For reliability of fixation, such glasses are equipped with a double strap. They are always sold as a set of lenses, belt and nose bridge. Therefore, before using them, glasses must be collected in advance.
This type of accessory is required for swimmers with vision problems. These glasses are most often training. At the same time, the lenses in them can be with the same or with different diopters in both eyes. In some models of glasses there is the possibility of replacing lenses.
The lenses for such glasses have a large step in diopters. Usually it is 0.5-1 D, against 0.25 D in conventional products for reading and working. More precise adjustments for water sports are not required. At the same time, choosing such glasses for swimming, it is worth choosing products with lenses that have the same optical power as ordinary glasses. If there is no exact match in the vision correction, it is recommended to take accessories with a slightly lower optical power than required.
Glasses mask or half mask are large and, when used, cover almost half of the face. Such products are used in open water, for shallow scuba diving and hunting.
Mask glasses are distinguished by large lenses providing a wide viewing angle. The bezel and strap of the accessory are often made of silicone. But thanks to the large width of the product, the mask does not press the swimmer's face as intensely as the training glasses model.Goggles for swimming
Lenses in the mask often have anti-fog coating and protective spraying from exposure to ultraviolet rays. Some manufacturers produce a line of men's and women's masks for swimming. At the same time, women's options are smaller.
Subtleties of selection
When choosing glasses for swimming, it is important to pay attention not only to the shape and functional purpose of the products, but also to the color of the lenses. They are of such a color:
- Blue and blue violet;
- Pink or purple;
Clear lenses are universal. They do not distort the color and light content of the surrounding space. These lenses can be used both in the pool and when swimming in open water.
Blue and blue-violet can be used both in open water and in the pool. Despite the dark shades of the lenses, they do not give distortion. However, they are great for swimming in cloudy weather.
Mirrored glasses are recommended for use in sunny weather in open water or in bright light in the pool. Mirror coating allows you to reflect bright glare that can blind or disorient the athlete.
Pink and purple lenses add contrast to surrounding objects. Therefore, it is better to use it in diffused artificial or natural light.
Goggles with yellow lenses neutralize the rays of light from the cold spectrum. Thus, such products provide improved visibility both in the pool and in open water.
How to choose the right goggles for adults
The basis for choosing glasses for swimming for an adult is to determine the target areas of the product, material, price range and shape. With all this information, you can begin to select points for swimming.
Since the main requirement for glasses is the reliability of their fit to the skin, it is quite simple to check whether the selected product is suitable:
- Apply the selected model to your eyes for a few seconds.
- The field of how a sensation of an adhering object appeared, hands should be carefully removed from the glasses.
- If the tried on copy is kept in sight even without the help of hands, then such glasses are suitable in size. They provide reliable fixation and protect against penetration of water under the lens.
It is also important that wearing the accessory does not cause severe pain or discomfort with a normally tightened strap.
The least attention when choosing glasses for swimming should be given to their appearance or brand fashion.
How to choose children's glasses for swimming
The principles for selecting children's swimming goggles are almost identical to the methods for choosing these products for adult swimming enthusiasts. It should be borne in mind that for normal swimming for the sake of pleasure, it is best to use goggles. It is recommended to give preference to starting and training models in the case of professional water sports.
The choice of swimming goggles for the baby must be carried out by constant fitting. It is better to opt for models that do not crush delicate baby skin. Because the best option for swimming goggles are models of neoprene. However, they are not always suitable for visiting sports sections, since during the active training such accessories can slip.
Starting models that do not have a sealing layer may be required for the child no earlier than 3 years from the start of swimming.
The selected model of glasses should not interfere with the review of the child and squeeze the orbit. Best of all, if the glasses lenses go beyond the temple area. In this case, the most comfortable and durable are cast glasses.
If the child has vision problems, before buying glasses, it is important to consult with an optometrist and select products with suitable diopters.
Rating of the best manufacturers
A large number of companies produce and sell goggles for swimming. However, the most popular, and well-established both in sports competitions and in ordinary swimming, are products of such manufacturers:
- Aqua Sphere;
All these firms produce high quality products. However, all the advantages of the product are disclosed only if the glasses are selected correctly.
The best models of glasses for swimming
Each model of swimming goggles has both its advantages and disadvantages. Among the training models, the following accessories have the greatest number of positive qualities:
- Zoggs Phantom Tinted. They are equipped with a light and flexible frame that adapts well to the wearer's head structure. This ensures the most comfortable and reliable fit and adhesion. Lenses have anti-fog coating.
- Tyr Velocity Metallized. Mirror coating provides protection against ultraviolet and glare, without compromising color perception. The glasses have a removable headband and anti-fog spraying. The product is hypoallergenic.
- Arena SmartFit. Equipped with a flexible frame that easily adapts to the anatomical features of the wearer's head. In this case, the lenses are not deformed. Equipped with thermoplastic sealant.
Among the starting points used in competitions, the following models are considered the best:
- Arena Cobra Ultra Mirror. This model is approved by the International Swimming Federation. Lenses have a curved low profile design. This provides a good overview while maintaining low water resistance.
- Speedo Fastskin 3 Elite Mirror. High hydrodynamic performance with a wide view. The mirror coating cuts the eyes from ultraviolet exposure, as well as glare.
- Michael Phelps XCeed Titanium Mirror. The model is durable and has a wide viewing angle with good streamlining. Glasses are resistant to mechanical damage.
The best glasses with diopters are the following models:
- Optic Envy Automatic. They have a wide shutter, so that the model sits tightly on the face without crushing it. Lenses have a protective coating against ultraviolet rays.
- Speedo Mariner Optical. The model is universal and suitable for both sports swimming and leisure. Equipped with adjustable nose bow.
The most convenient and popular children's glasses are models:
- Zoggs Hydro JR.
- Zoggs Ripper Little.
- Speedo Mariner Junior.
All products are hypoallergenic and have anti-fog and anti-glare coatings.